TOPIC: Cognitive Dysfunction – Can we agree to speak the same language?
TITLES AND INSTITUTION:
Associate Professor Anesthesiology, Neurosurgery, Geriatrics and Palliative Care, The Mount Sinai Hospital, New York
BIOGRAPHY AND AREAS OF RESEARCH:
I am a neurosurgical anesthesiologist with research interests that focus on ways in which anesthesiologists can optimize their anesthetic to decrease the burden of postoperative cognitive decline and improve recovery in the elderly. I am a current Beeson K23 scholar; my project focuses on the use of intraoperative EEG and whether intraoperative anesthetic depth affects postoperative cognitive dysfunction. I was previously a GEMMSTAR/Jahnigen scholar (2011-2013) and completed a project entitled: “The geriatric patient; anesthetics, stress, and functional outcomes”. I have also served as a co-investigator on an R01 funded randomized trial of the use of Dexmedetomidine. I am an active member several national and international groups. These include: the American Society of Anesthesiology (Brain Health Initiative Panel, chair of the abstract review committee for geriatrics), the American College of Surgery Coalition for Quality in Geriatric Surgical Care, Society for Neuroanesthesia (scientific planning committee), and the International Neurotoxicity Group.
SELECTION OF PUBLICATIONS:
Risk and complications in the elderly surgical patient
- Phillips AT, Deiner S, Mo Lin H, Andreopoulos E, Silverstein J, Levin MA. Propofol Use in the Elderly Population: Prevalence of Overdose and Association with 30-Day Mortality. Clin Ther. 2015 Dec 1;37(12):2676-85.
- Amrock LG, Neuman MD, Lin HM, Deiner S. Can Routine Preoperative Data Predict Adverse Outcomes in the Elderly? Development and Validation of a Simple Risk Model Incorporating a Chart-Derived Frailty Score. J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Jun 3. pii: S1072-7515(14)00439-6.
- Deiner S, Westlake B, Dutton RP. Patterns of surgical care and Complications in the Elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 May; 62(5) 829-35.
Cognition and the elderly
- Brallier JW, Dalal PJ, McCormick PJ, Lin HM, Deiner SG. Elevated Intraoperative Serum Lactate During Craniotomy Is Associated With New Neurological Deficit and Longer Length of Stay. In press.
- Deiner S, Lin HM, Bodansky D, Silverstein J, Sano M. Do stress markers and anesthetic technique predict delirium in the elderly? Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2014;38(5-6):366-74
- Deiner S, Luo X, Silverstein JH, Sano M. Can Intraoperative Processed EEG Predict Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction in the Elderly? Clin Ther. 2015 Dec 1;37(12):2700-5.
- Deiner S, Chu I, Mahanian M, Lin HM, Hecht AC, Silverstein JH. Prone position is associated with mild cerebral oxygen desaturation in elderly surgical patients.PLoS One. 2014 Sep 12;9(9)