TOPIC: General anaesthesia as fragmentation of selfhood: EEG and FMRI evidence.
TITLES AND INSTITUTION:
- MBChB, FANZCA, Dip App Stat, MD. Professor of Anaesthesia
- Department of Anaesthesia, Waikato Clinical Campus, University of Auckland, New Zealand
BIOGRAPHY AND AREAS OF RESEARCH:
Jamie Sleigh is Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care at the Waikato Clinical School, of the University of Auckland, Hamilton, New Zealand. He grew up in Zimbabwe, and specialised in anaesthesia in the United Kingdom, before moving to New Zealand in 1988. He has practiced in both intensive care medicine and anaesthesia – with particular interests in anaesthesia for vascular surgery and neurosurgery. His current research interests include: the practical use of EEG in anaesthesia; EEG signal processing; the modelling of brain dynamics in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures; pharmacokinetics of anaesthetic drugs; and the development of ketamine ester analogues.
SELECTION OF PUBLICATIONS:
- Warnaby CE, Seretny M, Mhuircheartaigh RN, Rogers R, Jbabdi S, Sleigh J, Tracey I. Anesthesia-induced Suppression of Human Dorsal Anterior Insula Responsivity at Loss of Volitional Behavioral Response. Anesthesiology. 2016 Apr;124(4):766-78.
- Liang Z, Ren Y, Yan J, Li D, Voss LJ, Sleigh JW, Li X. A comparison of different synchronization measures in electroencephalogram during propofol anesthesia. J Clin Monit Comput. 2015 Sep 8.
- Sleigh J, Hight D. What would a proper explanation of anesthesia look like? Anesthesiology. 2015 Jun;122(6):1196-7.
- Harvey M, Sleigh J, Voss L, Jose J, Gamage S, Pruijn F, Liyanage S, Denny W Development of Rapidly Metabolized and Ultra-Short-Acting Ketamine Analogs. Anesth Analg. Oct 2015;121(4):925-33.
- Martin JC, Liley DT, Harvey AS, Kuhlmann L, Sleigh JW, Davidson AJ. Alterations in the Functional Connectivity of Frontal Lobe Networks Preceding Emergence Delirium in Children. Anesthesiology. 2014 Jul 23. Oct;121(4):740-52.
- Chander D, García PS, MacColl JN, Illing S, Sleigh JW. Electroencephalographic Variation during End Maintenance and Emergence from Surgical Anesthesia. PLoS One. 2014 Sep 29;9(9).
- Williams ML, Sleigh JW. Auditory recall and response to command during recovery from propofol anaesthesia. Anaesth Intensive Care 1999 Jun;27(3):265-8