TOPIC: Neurophilosophy of Consciousness
TITLES AND INSTITUTION:
- Ph.D., Professor
- School of Bioscience, University of Skövde, Sweden and Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Turku, Finland
BIOGRAPHY AND AREAS OF RESEARCH:
Antti Revonsuo is Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Skövde, Sweden, and Professor of Psychology at the University of Turku, Finland. He has been conducting research on consciousness and the philosophical mind-brain -problem since the early 1990’s, especially focusing on dreaming and consciousness and on the neural correlates of visual consciousness. He has published two books on consciousness, “Inner Presence: Consciousness as a Biological Phenomenon” (MIT Press, 2006) and “Consciousness, The Science of Subjectivity” (Psychology Press, 2010). He is also known for his evolutionary-psychological theory of dreaming, the threat-simulation theory. Prof. Revonsuo’s group is currently collaborating with Dr. Harry Scheinin’s group, in experiments focusing on the neural mechanisms of consciousness and general anesthesia.
SELECTION OF PUBLICATIONS:
- Revonsuo A (2006) Inner Presence. Consciousness as a Biological Phenomenon. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. (First Hardback Edition, 473 pp. 2006;First Paperback Edition, 473 pp, 2009.)
- Revonsuo A. (2010) Consciousness, The Science of Subjectivity. Hove and New York: Psychology Press, (Hardback and Paperback editions, 325 pp.)
- Revonsuo A (2000) The Reinterpretation of Dreams: An evolutionary hypothesis of the function of dreaming. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 23 (6): 877-901.
- Koivisto M & Revonsuo A (2010) Event-related brain potential correlates of visual awareness. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 34(6):922-34.
- Långsjö JW, Alkire MT, Kaskinoro K, Hayama H, Maksimow A, Kaisti KK, Aalto S, Aantaa R, Jääskeläinen SK, Revonsuo A, Scheinin H. (2012) Returning from oblivion: imaging the neural core of consciousness. Journal of Neuroscience 32:4935-4943.
- Revonsuo A, Tuominen J, & Valli K (2016a) The Avatars in the Machine: Dreaming as a Simulation of Social Reality. In: Metzinger T & Windt J (Eds.) Open MIND: Philosophy and the Mind Sciences in the 21st Century, Vol. 2, pp. 1295-1322. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Revonsuo A, Tuominen J, & Valli K (2016b) The Simulation Theories of Dreaming: How to Make Theoretical Progress in Dream Science. In: Metzinger T & Windt J (Eds.) Open MIND: Philosophy and the Mind Sciences in the 21st Century, Vol. 2, pp. 1341-1348. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Sandman N, Valli K, Kronholm E, Revonsuo A, Laatikainen T, Paunio T. (2015) Nightmares: risk factors among the Finnish general adult population. Sleep 38(4):507-14.
- Sandman N, Valli K, Kronholm E, Ollila HM, Revonsuo A, Laatikainen T, Paunio T. (2013) Nightmares: Prevalence among the Finnish General Adult Population and War Veterans during 1972-2007. Sleep 36(7):1041-1050.
- Revonsuo A (1995) Consciousness, Dreams, and Virtual Realities. Philosophical Psychology 8: 35-58.